Damage caused by molds may not be immediately evident until such time it has become widely spread. Then mold can become a health hazard as well as a disintegration agent. Molds that grow in an open environment look organic and appear greenish to brown. However, it can also develop inside the home premises without the owner’s knowledge, especially if the condition is ideal – moist and warm.
Molds are a toxic genus of fungus that could become poisonous and therefore a health hazard. On top of being a health hazard, it also grows and feeds on any organic material that it touches. The end result, the material host decays to sustain the growth of the molds. This usually happens on perpetually moist walls or posts, under the carpet, trees, and leaves. If left to breed for a long time, this will lead to the weakening and eventual destruction of wherever it proliferates on.
Small Water Leaks
Mold damage sets in for a lot of reasons. Many times, they can be avoided, sometimes not. Unknown to the homeowner, there could be a tiny pipe leak hidden and unseen at the back of the walls or floorboards. Leaks in the roof can cause water damage and allow molds to develop on the ceiling as well as the walls. Excess water caused by fire cleanups can also induce mold growth in places that are not often visited or cleaned.
Mold spores can travel to other places through the air. So when it lands on organic material and is allowed to stay there, it will start developing and damaging your home or furniture. When inhaled by the unsuspecting home occupants and pets, it could result in a host of illnesses such as respiratory, intestinal and neurological.
Damage Can Be serious
Unchecked mold growth can only lead to the decay of your property. In a less severe scenario, it can cause discoloration or staining. This has been the case for thousands of antique items that were meant to be preserved but were found eaten away by mold growth because they have been left unchecked and unmaintained for a long time.
Incomplete Fire and Water Damage Cleanup
After a fire or flood disaster, taking out the smoke odor and cleaning off the soot on the walls, floors and other fixtures is not sufficient. A professional restoration company can do a complete cleanup not only those that are seen by the naked eyes but as well those that can be developing in the hidden recesses of your home.